28 April 2007

Me? Willy Wonka's taste tester?

So a few months ago, I answered an ad in the local newspaper about chocolate tasting at the local Nestle plant. Yes, actually tasting chocolate for money. After phone interview, I was called to the plant Thursday to take part in a sensory panel trial. We spent the day in a lab and went through lots of test attempting to determine bitterness and acidity levels in water, smelling vials trying to determine the flavor, and tasting chocolate to try to determine what the difference was between them.

So in fact, being a chocolate taster is actually a big job. They are only accepting five people from the three trials (and to get there 1 in 12 were selected). If I get selected I have to once a week for three hours trying milk/dark chocolate and chocolate liqueur. Not too bad, plus amazing, I get one month paid holiday! For one day a week work!

But it was a fun morning and I got a free lunch and box of chocolate and time away from writing papers for school. Nice.

2 comments:

rachel said...

that is SO GREAT. and incredibly interesting.

Anonymous said...

Do you they need any pregnant lady tasters?