26 April 2007

Is that smoke?

So Tuesday night I had to stay up late to finish a paper (I know, I know). I had just finished and was heading off to bed around 3 when I smelled smoke. Not cooking smoke or fireplace smoke - but real fire smoke. So I started to wander around the house ... no smoke. Hmmm ... then I started to hear footsteps running up and down the sidewalk outside of my room. Hmmm ... so minutes later - sirens! Apparently there was a house fire four doors down from us. Nothing major, lots of smoke and everyone is ok. But the house smelt of smoke for a day, but a couple of Febreeze sprays and it was gone.

Interesting note about British firefighters ... after the fire was out, people actually offered them tea! At 3:45 in the morning! Hee hee! Now I've experienced the York public safety trifecta (did I mention ambulances came to??)!

After that craziness, I didn't get to bed until 4:30 and then had to get up at 7 to catch a train to school to pick up checks and turn in homework. Definitely made for the long day - but ended on a happy literary note - I pre-ordered Harry Potter 7 at Borders! Woo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you still didn't visit me! You are mean :( By the way, do you still have my spare key?

plum&jello said...

Sorry - I was only there for four hours! :) Yep, I have your spare - do you need it? I can post back ... leaving for the states on Wed. xo

Anonymous said...

Yes please!

Anonymous said...

If only febreeze would work on the smoke in my house...v envious. certainly sounds like a hectic night. did you make some tea for yourself as well?