08 April 2007

Easter, the UK Way

First off, I didn't end up at Whitby yesterday. Stupid buses are still running on winter times and for me to get there and back in a reasonable (emphasis) amount of time, I would have had 1 hour in Whitby. Oh well, I passed the time doing homework, shopping in town, and watching new Doctor Who - woo!

Today, while Katie was battling the masses at Jorvik (literally - tourists everywhere!), I went to the Easter service at York Minster to hear the Archbishop of York. It was a very nice service with choirs, orchestras, and organs - and while they were processing at the beginning, the Archbishop touched my hand (I was sitting on the sides). Pictures of him greeting people, in what I think is a Joseph-esque coat, afterwards are posted to Yahoo! Some interesting notes on the service, a family from the U.S. south (I couldn't tell from where) couldn't believe there weren't any flowers in the Minster, short of some large arranged pieces. I think they were expecting the typical U.S. family sponsored Easter lily decorations. Geez, we are in an amazing Minster! No flowers needed! Also, even though we are enjoying mid- to upper-60s weather, no one had new Easter dresses on and I only saw two hats out of 1,200 people! What is England coming to!?! Bring back the hats!

Easter dinner tonight ... Katie and I might be off tomorrow as it is Easter Monday holiday, but we haven't decided yet. Also, we bought a bunny pinata, but we haven't done anything with him yet ... he's too cute to smack! Hop ... Hop ...

No comments: