29 September 2006

The First Week

Well it is not over yet (Saturday class!), but my first week as a postgraduate is coming to close. I am physically/mentally worn out. Seven plus hours of classes for five days is a lot, plus I will be hauling a lot of books back to York for the first paper (due 19 October!!). I think I'll need a few days to decompress before I start writing. Katie and I are thinking of going to see Wicked! in London next week - hopefully that will help.

Yesterday, two troopers were killed in the line of duty. I was so torn being at school. I really wish I could have been back at home to assist. I think what bothers me the most is knowing how much stuff the unit is having to handle and how much I know I could be helping. All I really do is pray for the families and sit here in the computer lab and be a media viewer, not a media enabler.

In other Scottish class news, I seem to be the whiz at Media in Britain and the lecturer is extremely interested in my knowledge of US media. Who knew!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!

I hope all is going well. I thought I'd check in and say hello. Your posts to-date are very interesting and it sounds like you are settling in well on the other side of the pond.

I loved your post about what you had experienced in the last week, particularly the part about the need to brush up on British terminology. I cracked up thinking (again) of the Nat'l Lampoon's European Vacation scene where Chevy Chase is checking into the British hotel and he can't make out anything the innkeeper is saying, so he gets out his pocket translator and Rusty says, "Dad he's speaking English!" Hilarious! I hope the TV channels over there have more content on them than how cheese is made. :)

Anyway, things are good here for the most part. I noticed you put the link to the news release re: the two troopers who were killed yesterday. I'm sure Tony missed having your assistance and expertise in coordinating everything with the media. He spent the entire day in Gallipolis yesterday and will be attending both funerals this weekend. Such a tragedy and I think all of us, whether we knew them or not, feel a strong sense of loss and sympathy for their spouses and families. It's just so sad.

Well, good luck with classes and your workload. Send pix of men in kilts when you can. (Hee hee!) Tony and I close on our new house in two weeks, so we'll make sure to send our new address to you when the time comes.

Later, or shall I say, "Cheer-io!"
Lainie

Anonymous said...

I so do not want to see photos of kilted men! However, got anything in a senorita bonita? 4252