12 November 2006

A Wicked Mess in London

Oh what a mess! I went to London Saturday morning for an afternoon performance of Wicked, starting Idina Menzel (the original Wicked Witch of the West). I have been trying to see her perform for over a year and either a) she has been injured or b) I couldn't get to her.

After a morning of Portabello Road, the Tate Modern (to see the slides!), and to the Founders Arms (Jeff!!) for lunch, I headed to the Apollo Victoria .... only to find out that she is out! Grrr! Not only out, but had been out for days due to illness. The performance was great, and her replacement was incredible, but it wasn't her. Sigh ...

I stuck around for the evening performance, hoping to get tickets, but it was sold out with no return tickets. I ended missing my train -- but snagged a swanky hotel room (next to Buckingham Palace) for relatively cheap. So I enjoyed the humongous tub and had a night's rest.

Maybe I will get back before she leaves on Dec. 31 ... it would be worth the trip back to see her.

No comments: